Thursday, October 25, 2007

albert's profile on the B.O.B website



*sigh* I stopped by the B.O.B. site today and saw that Albert's full profile is now up here. I felt kind of sad...he's on display for the world to see...and anyone with half a brain would kill to adopt this little guy! Which means he won't be my special little guy anymore :(

As fate would have it though, I received an email from a colleague shortly after. It was an urgent plea for a 10 year old beagle girl named Gin who is at a shelter in Mississauga. Apparently her owners had dropped her off because she had an ear infection and they didn't want to incur the vet costs. She was on death row at the shelter unless she found a home. My colleague just updated me to say they have found her a temporary place to live...but it was a close call for her.

That's when it hit me. Gin's story is just one of hundreds that Marna receives every single year. And one of many that I find myself by looking online at different shelters. Look at this poor guy. He breaks my heart and if I could, I'd bring him home too.

Fostering allows you to actually put your money where your mouth is. I am helping Albert so that he can find a loving full-time home. When Albert finds happiness, I can open up my home to the Gin's and Snowy's of the world.

The thought of saying goodbye to Albert someday breaks my heart. But it also gives me hope.

We adopted Arthur and Stella as puppies. Everyone loves a puppy. But after fostering Albert I can tell you in no uncertain terms that adopting a rescue dog can be just as amazing - and possibly more so - than buying a puppy.

The love that I have developed towards Albert in less than a week is due in part to his lovely little furry face but more in the process of seeing him open up and become a happy little dog.

And look at the photo above...he's smiling :)

No comments: